August 18, 2016

UPDATES!!

It's been several years since my last post, and it's too hot outside to work on the house, so here's a quick version of everything that's happened between then and now.

I moved in with my Dad, paid off some debt, saved up a little bit, and then moved to Portland, Oregon! I've deemed Portland the tiny house capital of the nation because there are so many resources for alternative dwellings here, not to mention tiny houses being built around every corner. I'm not surprised to see a new one anymore (although I still get totally giddy about them).

I started working and saving my butt off, until I was finally able to buy a new trailer. It's an Iron Eagle trailer, manufactured right outside the city, and made for starting construction on the house right away (no need to weld or cut anything).

Shiny New Iron Eagle Trailer!
Then the trailer waited untouched. It's a detailed story that I won't get into, but basically I wasn't able to start building right away. I had a place to store it, but not to build it.

In February 2016, I moved it to it's new construction site, in the driveway of a lovely and wonderful human: My... Best Friend? My sort of ex but not really? My (mostly) platonic life partner? Or, just my someone-who-is-very-dear-to-me-who-maybe-just-transcends-labels-at-this-point. :) She makes me snacks while I work too!

The first day of Spring was the first day I was actually able to start construction. Fitting, because in the cold and dark winter we hibernate and dream up ideas, but spring is when we begin to sprout those dream seeds into reality! HEEE!

Subfloor Joists Installed


Rock Wool Insulation Installed

All my walls up!

It is now August, and I finally have all my walls up! WHY did it take 6 months just to get the walls up?! WELL: I significantly altered my plans, learned Sketch-Up in the process, DIDN'T quit my job, worked completely alone (aside from a few friends who helped to raise the walls), and I'VE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE. I don't know what I'm doing! I mean I do, but that's because I'm educating myself as I go. And learning what I'm supposed to do is just one step, then I have to figure out how to do it.

But I love it, and I'll update more frequently from now on.

I'll end this post with a picture of me from 2 years ago: About to move to Portland and start my adventure :)

Ready to go visit PDX and see if I really wanna live there (I do, duh).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me nice comments or questions!